October 8, 2009

decisions, decisions...

I've been in my new little town for almost 2 weeks now. Something I've been struggling with since I came out here was the whole work situation. I've been thinking and thinking, looking, talking about it with Trey.. so it's only natural that I blab about it here now too.

To work or not to work.. here's my dilemma.

I've been looking for jobs and really... there's not much going on. I'm partly to blame for that though. I have too many conditions and they may be a tad unrealistic. I looked on the NAF website (helps spouses find jobs on post) but you have to be stationed here for at least 12 months. We'll only be here for 1/2 that time. I look in classifieds but see things like, "looking for an exciting new career path? Applebees carside to go is the next step for you". I'm in no means above any job, but here lies my problem(s).

A) I only want to work part-time. For right now at least.
B) I want very specific hours and it's very very selfish. I want to be able to fit going to the gym, running errands, and still being able to make dinner in my day. I want to have weekends off to spend with Trey.
C) I REALLY want to figure out what it is that I want to do with my life. I feel like I'm just passing through not really knowing what direction I'm going in. Even if we were stationed here for a couple of years and I was looking for a full time job, I wouldn't know what I wanted to do. I'm thinking about going back to school, but have no clue what for. Basically, think I've got some good ol' soul searching to do!

I know what I listed above is not real life. I'm going to have to get over that. But part of me just wants to enjoy that for a little while. I keep the house clean, do the laundry, and run the errands during the week when he's training.. which all used to take up our weekend. Now we'll be able to actually enjoy that time and cross off things on our list to do while we're out here. But the other half of me is having a hard time letting myself enjoy that. Don't get me wrong, I keep myself busy during the day for the most part. I'm hardly ever sitting around doing nothing. But I've been working nonstop since I was old enough to work. The fact that I'm making no money right now is causing so much guilt inside myself. The rare times that I am just sitting around never last long because I feel like I always have to go go go!

I think I've come up with my own solution, which may be to find a place or two where I can volunteer a couple of hours a week. That way I'm doing something productive that I can feel good about and could set my own schedule. We'll see though. I'm sure I'll figure it out. In the meantime, I will try my best to enjoy long morning workouts, occasional coffee dates, and spoiling hubs. I know - tough life right? But trust me, I'm my own worst enemy... enjoying this is harder than it may seem!

6 comments:

just ask beth said...

Enjoy this time with your husband, before you know it pitter patter will be here and then what... enjoy it for you also, sheesh, you are only going to be there for what 6 mos.? If you can swing it financially stay home for now and take care of you, Trey and your home

Steph said...

I want to volunteer for something but I don't have time. So I think if you don't HAVE to work and have time to do some volunteer work, then go for it. It will be rewarding but it will also look good on a resume someday.

One Day at a Time said...

Try substituting at a local school. You get to choose which jobs you take- if you have something to do that day, you dont have to take a job! And its good hours, and no weekends. You can even tell them what age group you want.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

When I didn't have a job I felt so guilty. I know how that feeling is and it sucks. I think you should enjoy your time right now. You'll only be there 6 months and when you make the next and more permanent move you can really buckle down in finding a job.

JG said...

I know what you mean. After I lost my job at the beginning of the year I had a hard time adjusting - not because I missed working (I didn't) but because I felt so guilty not "contributing." However, it's turned into good for us, for those reasons you listed. But everyone has to find their niche. Have you thought about doing a home-based business like Mary Kay or Creative Memories? Then you still get to set your own schedule and be your own boss, but you also get the social and financial benefits of being employed.

One Day at a Time said...

oooh, thats a good idea JG! How about Partylite candles, Southern Living at Home, Premier Designs jewelry, or 31?