June 6, 2011

Oh BTW...

I don't think I've mentioned this on here, but it's finally our turn to move on post! After a full year of waiting we were offered a house a few weeks ago. I can't tell y'all how excited I am!! I've always wanted the experience of living on post and as far as I'm concerned there is no better place than Ft. Bliss to get that experience! I love this place more and more every day.

The houses are beautiful. Especially for an Army post. The PX area (Freedom Crossing) is unheard of in the Army world.. literally the first of it's kind. For instance, we went to the movie theater right behind the Commissary (which is super nice and brand new with reclining seats) last Friday night. The atmosphere all around the theater was So. Much. Fun. First of all, the weather at night here during the summer really can't be beat. No matter how hot it gets during the day... it can get up to 110-115 I believe... it always drops down to the 70s or so at night. It's perfect! Anywhoo.. just for my friends and family that don't live here, let me set the scene for you.
Right outside of the back of the PX you have a fountain next to a Starbucks where there are usually little kids running all through it. That sight alone always makes my heart happy. They are so care free and having a blast. You cross the street and have a Dairy Queen, Smashburger, an Irish Pub, Buffalo Wild Wings and the theater. Between the pub and the theater there are large cushy chairs and couches facing an outdoor fireplace. Helloooo! You don't even feel like you are on an Army post. Every Friday night they hold karaoke. Soo.. lots of people + gorgeous weather with a slight breeze + the joy of watching people sing their hearts out + a drink in your hand + a cushy comfy chair = a great time with your friends and family. Or in our case last Friday.. part of a perfect date night. So friends and fam... come on out and visit us! Doesn't it sound fun?

On our way home we were talking about how nice it's going to be when we don't have to make the 20 minute trek back home after enjoying nights like that. So soon.. so so soon. I'll be in the same neighborhood as a few of my buddies (although I will miss living seconds away from Jennifer!!) which will be fun. A skip and a jump away from the Commissary and Freedom Crossing. A bigger house. And for me.. just the plain experience of living on post. We'll see if my ideas are naive or silly, but I am feeling pretty patriotic about it. I look forward to being a part of the community!

We called a moving company that someone told us had a good rep around here. Just to get a quote. We didn't have very high hopes, but turns out their prices are very reasonable. We are going to pack ourselves up and bring most boxes. All they are going to do is transfer all the big stuff for us. It's perfect. It's just a little bit more than renting a UHaul. Not having to do all that work is worth it to my husband! He's definitely not lazy, but has a bit of a problem with asking for help. I was enlisting help for him and doing a pretty good job with it... must be a man thing! All of my Bliss Buddies are more than welcome to still come on over and help transport boxes *and stuff* though :)


In less than two weeks, we'll be making the big move!

7 comments:

SLM said...

We just started living on post about 2 months ago...so far we absolutely love it...life is so much simpler now!!

JG said...

So cool! Do you know which house you're getting?

Tori Bella said...

Schweet.

It may be different for Officers but Chad and I will be moving on post soon and we get one move on to post for free since we weren't moved onto post when we first trasnferred here.

JB said...

You'll love living on post. I did. I miss living on post now. This is our first time living off post and well we kind of regret it. We LOVE our house, but the drive sucks.

One good thing about living on post is that you'll be able to see your husband a lot more. Like after PT, for lunch etc... makes the day go by faster. Good luck with the move. :)

Jen said...

You will love it!!! I have never had any regrets about living on post. We are walking distance from our commissary and px, nothing makes me happier haha. :) I am super excited for you and I know you will have a wonderful experience!

Mel said...

So fun! Do you know where your house is yet?

Charlatan psychic said...

I think you will love it! J and I ride our bikes to the PX almost every weekend for a movie or just to get a snack at Baskin Robins.

And you'll be super close to the German Club! Have you eaten there yet? J and I have gone a few times. It's great that we can both have a drink and just walk home.