December 11, 2009

Fake Birthday and A Salute

My mum and I got to start our day off to a good laugh thanks to yours truly. I was all excited to call her first thing this morning and here's a little snippet of how that conversation went:

Me to Trey: Let's call mum to tell her happy birthday!
Ring ring ring
mum: Good morning!
Trey and I together in a sing song voice: HAAPPPY BIRTHDAYYY!!!!
mum: umm.. thanks.. but my birthday's not til Sunday.
Uncontrollable giggles came from both my mum and I for about a minute straight. Ahh well - I think birthdays should be week-long celebratoins, so that was just the kick off to her birthday week! Yeah... I really did that on purpose...

Yesterday, I got a text from Trey letting me know he was meeting some friends for lunch at the PX food court instead of coming home. I just so happened to be on post so I invited myself along. I'm pretty sure they were thrilled to have me and that conversation filled with Christmas decorations, my trip home, and presents for my mum were a much appreciated deviation from there regular boring lives ;)
We finish lunch... all is great... and Trey is walking me to my car afterwards. We're walking along, with me babbling on and on about who knows what, per usual, when the two soldiers walking by stop and salute Trey. My husband... getting saluted. It all happened so fast.. they salute.. Trey salutes back.. and I'm sure my face was pretty scrunched up like "WTH just happened". After a second my brain processed it all and I was overcome with emotion. That was the first time I've seen that happen - it made me so incredibly proud of him! He is still pretty humbled by it and doesn't make a big deal out of it... but to me.. it was huge and warmed my heart :)

3 comments:

Steph said...

I would feel the same way. That's one of the great things about being married to a soldier.

Random Musings said...

Aww how cool is that!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Aw, Happy Birthday to your mom!!! Congrats to Trey on his life in the military! (Can you tell I'm catching up on my blogs lol)