January 30, 2013

Wes' birth story

Surprise! Someone made an early appearance!
He wasn't scheduled to come until tomorrow (the 31st), but it looks like he had other plans. I started to feel like something wasn't right on Thursday. I had no idea I was in labor, but I was really tired. My energy level dropped way down and I just didn't feel right. I didn't think much of it though, I was just 38 weeks pregnant.
Fast forward to Friday. I felt better in the morning. Still sluggish, I remember thinking that all I wanted to do was lay down on the couch. I didn't want to get up for anything! I got some stuff done in the morning and then started feeling bad again. I called my SIL to talk about it. I had a nagging feeling, "I wonder if..." so we chatted about what I was feeling. My back hurt a little, I was kind of crampy and my stomach was tightening, but it kind of just felt like Wes was trying to stretch out. I was uncomfortable at worst and thought that it couldn't possibly be labor... that's supposed to be painful. Plus, everyone says you'll KNOW when you're in labor. Phsshhh... not always true!
My mom got home from work around 5:15 and that's when I really started suspecting. I was noticing more of a pattern with the tightening. I told her what was going on and that I was thinking about going in to get checked. I was sure this wasn't it, but at least I'd be able to sleep better knowing for sure that nothing was going on. I took a bath to soak for a few minutes, took a shower, and straightened my hair... you know.. just in case!
I started sending Trey emails just letting him know I was going in, but no need for alarm! I had no idea when he'd even get the messages. By the time we got to the hospital, I was glad we had left! Something was definitely happening. We walked up to Labor and Delivery and I let them know I wanted to be checked. They kind of looked at me like I was crazy and told me I was probably just feeling Braxton Hicks. They entertained me though, and hooked me up to the machines.
About 10 minutes later, the nurse came back and said my contractions were 2 minutes apart. She was coming in to check me but they were going to go ahead and call the doctor because she didn't trust me one bit. Comes in, checks me, and surprise! 4cm dialated, 50% effaced. Because we had to do a c-section, she called the doc and told him to hurry it on up!
30 minutes later, I was in the operating room (which, btw, was the scariest experience I've ever gone through... but easy and painless in the end) and prepping to meet my baby! I got all set up and as soon as my mom came in I started crying. This was it! Nothing like knowing someone is about to take a scalpel to your abdomen. What felt like 10 minutes later, it was over. They pulled my baby out and unfortunately, I didn't hear those sweet cries right away. My mom didn't even have time to cut the cord. They rushed him off because he couldn't breath. There was fluid trapped in his lungs that he couldn't pass. They took him off to special care and I was once again in the position of worrying about my baby.
Fortunately, it was nowhere near as bad this time. He was born at 10:34pm and by 5am he was in my room with me!
Healthy as can be! Needless to say, we never had time to get Daddy on the phone or Skype. He missed the whole thing and found out the next day that his son was here. Can you even imagine that? I can't. I know it was hard on him.

We spent 2 nights in the hospital.
He weighed 8 pounds exactly and is 21 inches long.
He's breastfeeding like a champ and I couldn't be any more thrilled with all that.
He's had tons of visitors and must feel pretty darn loved already.
His big brother is just smitten with him. He spends the day asking if he can hold him, kissing him and "petting" him.
I'm so much in love with him! I spent so much time worrying how I could possibly love another baby. Everyone told me that you just do. Your heart grows. And it does. I already can't imagine life without him. He just fits with us. He completes our family and he couldn't fit any more perfectly.

We love you, Wes! Welcome to our family :)




11 comments:

Sarah said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! Congrats!!!! Little Wesley is absolutely adorable (those cheeks!) and that last picture with big brother is just beautiful. I'm so excited he's doing so well. Congrats again!

Charlatan psychic said...

Sophie had to have some stuff sucked out of her lungs, too. Her doc said that with a vaginal birth, it squeezes the baby and helps them clear their lungs, but with a c-section, they often just need a little help with that.

I was surprised when I got on facebook and saw pictures! Maybe this kid is gonna be one of those that does his own thing on his own time, no matter what everyone else's plans are! But he is gorgeous, and I think he already has the same eyes as his big brother.

Steph said...

Oh my goodness! You made me tear up. He is absolutely adorable. C-sections are amazing! :)

Way to go momma! I'm so happy for you!

Jen said...

I am so incredibly happy for you. Two perfect boys. :)

JG said...

*squee* I'm so happy for you!! He's beautiful and perfect! Can't wait to meet him, one day! :)

Karren said...

Congrats!! He is adorable! And the last pic with big brother is so sweet!! Hope you and baby Wes are doing well.

Amber said...

He's so precious, Jessica! Congrats on your lovely new bundle of joy.

Kim said...

Congrats! So happy for you and your family! :)

Mel said...

And I'm teary. Such a sweet experience and although Trey missed it, I'm sure he spent the entire next day running around telling everyone he was a daddy (again!)

Hugs from me to you, darling.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Congrats! He's adorable!!

Unknown said...

The rocket is one of this james harden jersey season NBA [microblogging] the biggest surprise, the beginning of the season was forecast to rocket into February with 25 wins and 23 negative results, will definitely be considered an absolute lunatic. James - Harden joined indeed enhance the record of the rocket, but also a sudden outbreak of another previously unknown james harden rockets jersey players, leaped into the Union is now one of the best young players. The 2011 draft, Parsons was selected in the second round 38th pick, now prove Amoy to the Rockets james harden swingman jersey in the second round of one of the Star of Hope of the net worth of the first round of the middle.