August 7, 2011

This is what's for dinner tonight

Grilled Fresh Tomato and Greek Salad Pizza

I saw this recipe a few weeks ago in the USA Weekend section in the Sunday paper. It looked mouth-watering so I clipped it out, but honestly I was a little apprehensive. I was nervous about grilling a pizza.. if I could pull it off. I don't grill too well.

SO glad I gave it a shot anyway! It's the perfect, light summer meal.

You'll need:
4 large Italian Plum Tomatoes, sliced thin (juice from sliced tomatoes reserved)
2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound store-bought (or homemade if you roll that way) pizza dough. I used Pillsbury.
salt and ground black pepper
3/4 cup Mozzarella cheese
4 cups packs arugula or baby spinach (I used the spinach)
1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives (I left those out)
2 ounces crumbled feta (I used low-fat or fat-free.. I can't remember which)

Turn all burners of a gas grill on high. Meanwhile, mix sliced tomatoes with 1 Tbs of olive oil and garlic. Set aside.
Spread dough onto a lightly floured surface. Using a dough scraper or sharp knife, quarter dough crosswise. Transfer to a large cornmeal-coated baking sheet.
Reduce grill heat to medium; lift stretched pieces of dough on grill. Cover and cook until bottoms are spotty brown, moving them around and punching dough down as necessary to ensure even cooking (I mean.. I just patted it once or twice.. whatevs), 3 or 4 minutes.
Return pizza crusts, grilled side up, to baking sheet, topping each with a portion of tomatoes (reserving any remaining garlicky tomato liquid). Lightly sprinkle tomatoes with salt and top with a portion of mozzarella cheese.
Return pizza to grill; cover and continue to grill until pizza bottoms are spotty brown, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Transfer to a cutting board.
Meanwhile, toss spinach with olives, feta, remaining oil and a light sprinkling of salt and pepper. Drizzle in reserved tomato juice; toss to coat again. Top each pizza with a portion of salad. Cut into pieces and serve.


This was fun to make and even more so to eat. Something about it being grilled just made it so much better! We definitely plan to do this again and play with different toppings!

No comments: