October 13, 2010

Can't we all just get along??

This post is inspired by a recent.. ummm.. conversation (?) that was had on my Facebook page about college football.
It's no secret that I am passionate about it. We live and breath it every weekend (and Thursday and sometimes Friday) during the fall. And those that have been reading my blog for a while know that I am a firm believer in the SEC. I personally believe that no one out there can compete. I've been a S. Carolina fan for years and years and over the past few years have been persuaded by my husband to route for Alabama as well.. it's hard not to, right? But this is less about our conference as a whole and more about one particular team... OHIO STATE.

Please, ladies, please... let me know if I'm wrong! Unless you live in the state of Ohio.. most people don't care for (or may have some stronger words) Ohio State Football. I've never run into anyone that isn't from Ohio that actually likes the team. Well I have family that lives in Cleveland, Ohio and are huge fans. I don't hold that against them ;) but there has been a huge stink caused on my FB page (seriously.. like 60 comments long) over the fact that I don't like them (the team, not my family).

They say it hurts their feelings that I don't like them and sometimes vocalize my feelings on the subject. And they are REALLY worked up about it. Really? It's nothing personal, says I. I could care less if anyone in the world.. no matter how close you are to me had something bad to say about any of the teams I pull for. To each his own! Say whatever you want and I'll be glad to have a little friendly back and forth banter with you. Why does it have to be so serious? Of course I never want to hurt any one's feelings.. especially friends and family, but to make matters worse - All of this was started over a conversation that was had on my MIL's fb page. They don't know her. Shouldn't be able to see what was on her page. Clearly, I have the right to discuss football (or anything) in whatever fashion I want when it's not directed at them, right?

Here are the reasons I do not care for Ohio State:
I don't have much respect for them as a team. I feel like they play cake teams all year round and don't deserve to be ranked where they are. Come on down south and play some real teams instead of Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern. See how you hold up.
They value a coach (Woody Hayes) that smacked a student player (from Clemson) by still having his name on the stadium. I understand that happened years ago.. but it's all about tradition and history.
They call themselves "THE Ohio State". Isn't there only 1 state of Ohio? Grrrr

There are lots more that gets under my skin about them, but Andrew is starting to stir and need to finish up my point.

Basically.. I love my family, I do. But I will NEVER love or like Ohio State Football and don't see why this has been made out to be such an issue. Don't let it hurt your feelings.. embrace it and lets have a good ol' fashion family rivalry and pray we play each other in a bowl game or better yet.. National Championship!

6 comments:

SLM said...

Oooooh boy, do I love you!!

I am from Ohio and happen to HATE HATE HATE "The Ohio State University." For all of the reasons listed above plus the fact that everyone in Ohio, whether they went there or not, are completely obsessed. I can't tell you how many weddings I've been to where they play "Hang on Sloopy" and everyone on the dance floor screams O-H-I-O!! Give me a break. But they weren't obsessed before they started getting better like 10 years ago. Nothing grinds me more than a fair weather fan. They think that Ohio State is the only place to go to school. (I went to a very good school also in Ohio) and their hockey team is DIRTY!!!

I don't understand why it would hurt anyone's feelings that you don't like the team though...isn't that the point of sports?? Competition and loyalty to your team?? If everyone loved all teams, that would take away from the fun...who would you root for?? LOL This post blows my mind.

That day in November when they take on Michigan I'm going to be screaming at the TV "GO BLUEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!" Just because I know how much they would cry if they lost to them :-)

Charlatan psychic said...

I have some family members like that. I usually try to remind them that I love them no matter what, but I don't have to agree with them.

I for one don't like football at all! haha. I don't really know anything about the game. I let J watch when he wants to, and will even cheer for his team (Broncos, he doesn't watch college football), but I just don't get it. I don't let that get in the way of friends and family though! Since most of my friends and family like football.

So take a deep breath, love on your beautiful baby boy, and remember that they will get over it.

Anonymous said...

Isn't the point of athletics friendly rivalry? I hate the Yankees- HATE the Yankees, but I am friends with a few fans and it is a constant battle of the wits whenever we get together. In a friendly fashion. "No hard feelings but your Yankees suck, and so do you!" with "Oh, and your Sox are better- you can't even spell ya hooligans!" so forth and so on... and God love football!

My family is Eagles fans, and I happened to marry a skins fan. The first Christmas he was with our family they kicked him out of the house. We no longer celebrate with family. My grandma saved him and stood up for him, but it was only a year into our dating and she wasn't having any of that non-sense from my aunts and uncles. People get crazy about sports...

Funny story- my hubs is from South Carolina and now that we live in southern California, whenever he sees people in USC shirts he blatantly cheers "Go Gamecocks!" at them. It's embarassing for me, but I love him. He then informs them S. Carolina is "THE" USC.

One Day at a Time said...

Amen, sista!

Jessica said...

HAHA!! I hate Ohio State, Texas, USC, Nebraska and all other teams that have a "cake" schedule. The SEC is in a completely different category than any other conference, in my humble opinion.

To each their own, though!

lola said...

Maybe they're just bitter that they are the University of Florida's north campus? ;) hahahah.

Seriously though.. you have to take the good with the bad and I don't know why they're upset -- they're doing well this season! I was just joking a couple of days ago with friends about how I am a Florida fan and one of the girls said "I have no idea why!" and I joked back "uh, I don't either after those two losses we've had!" It's just how it all works.

Laughing and joking around about it all is half of what makes it fun!