July 28, 2009

When Life Hands You Lemons...

Well you know how the rest goes.

Trey and I came across a major setback yesterday. The thought never even occurred to us that this could happen, but it did. They all turned in their weapons Friday afternoon. Most of the guys went out partying all weekend. Trey didn't. He wanted to be in top shape come Monday morning for his final PT test. The last thing he had to do in order to graduate from OCS. I got a text from him late Monday morning that just said "i need to talk to you". My heart immediately sank, but I was still hopeful. I mean really... he's had no trouble this whole time... what could have really gone wrong? Turns out he blew the running out of the water, did great in push ups, and for some reason or another, just barely missed his sit ups. He had to pack up all his stuff and get ready to go back to HHC (where they're held at the beginning or if you fail something at any point during the course). He'll be held there for another couple of weeks. He doesn't get to graduate with the guys he's gone through everything with. Instead he'll graduate with another company where he knows no one.

Can you imagine how he feels right now? It's getting better, but let me tell you, yesterday was not a good day. I don't think I've ever seen him at such a low point. Just humiliated, embarrassed, sad, disappointed.. the list goes on. I know he was dreading making that phone call to me, never mind his parents. We talked a lot yesterday and today and I've been trying real hard to pick his spirits up. I think it's working. I kept trying to tell him that every single thing happens for a reason. We may never ever know what that reason is, but we just have to trust that God has a better plan for us. When you're that disappointed though, that doesn't really mean anything to you in the moment. It is starting to sink with him. He's trying to accept it.

So yes, would I have LOVED to leave Monday to start graduation festivities?? Heck yes. But I'll enjoy it even more so in a couple weeks. Would I have been BEYOND excited to be driving HOME with him on Thursday and go together to pick Daisy up?? Ummm yeah. But instead, I'll pick Daisy up a few days earlier and take her with me to go spend next weekend with him. There HAS to be a reason for this. I have complete faith in that. Maybe I would have gotten in a car accident on the way down Monday because I was just so exhausted from my trip to Boston. Maybe we're not financially ready to move to Oklahoma while still making mortgage payments so our move had to be delayed for another month. All I know is in the end, not much has changed:

He'll retake that PT test and blow them out of the water (bc he WILL be doing 1000 sit ups every night while stuck in HHC ;) ).
He'll still graduate and get to where he wants to go.
I still think my husband is a kick ass, sexy Army Man.

I still think the world of him. I still adore him. <3

The End.

10 comments:

d.a.r. said...

Oh gosh I am so sorry. It is so frustrating to have setbacks like that! I am praying for you guys!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear this. Everything happens for a reason. When Matt broke his ankle on his LAST jump in jump school we were heartbroken but we learned later that it just gave us more time together because he would have deployed sooner.

You just have to remember everything happens how it's suppose to! I'll be thinking of you both!

lola said...

I'm so sorry that he's had that setback! I remember how devastated Matt was when he recycled in Ranger School. Stay strong for him and definitely keep his spirits up. He needs you more than ever right now. :)

JB said...

I'm sorry to hear he faced a setback, but I'm 100% he'll come out on top after all is said and done. Just keep reminding him that you support him no matter what and everything will be just fine. :) In a few weeks all of this will be trivial and it won't matter.

My Army Brats and Me said...

Keep your faith! He is going to do great. WE are all cheering him on:)

Sarah said...

That is awful but I am glad you are looking at it the right way and just looking forward till when hell be with you again!

Carrie said...

Keep that positive attitude! We all know how disappointing set-backs are, but you're absolutely right: There's a reason for everything. Things will work out for the best.

We're all cheering you guys on. :)

just ask beth said...

everything does happen for a reason as mundane as that sounds, but GOD is in control and everything will work out for you both who have worked so hard on tis dream together... XO YESHICA!

One Day at a Time said...

You have a great attitude towards everything :)

Steph said...

Awww... everything will be ok. This will give you more time to sell the house and whatnot. Best of luck! Everything happens for a reason.