August 31, 2010

Lead Me

It's my pleasure to introduce to y'all the MOST handsome little boy that I have ever set my eyes on ~

Mr. Andrew G. Norton!



Here he is just minutes after being born on August 28th at 8:15am. He is 7lbs 6oz and 19.5 inches. He had a rough entrance into this world. When the doctors realized I had pre-eclampsia during my appointment on Friday, I was sent up to L&D immediately to be induced (I had too much protein in my urine and not enough platelets). Right away, they set me up with an IV for the Pitocin and Magnesium Sulfate, which was used to prevent me from going in to seizures. They warned me from the beginning that the Magnesium would slow him down and he may not cry as soon as he comes out. Well, after a long and hard birth that I will disclose in a little more detail later, we realized that it was a little worse than that.

When he came out, he was severely distressed because all of his systems were depressed and he knew it! They set him on my belly long enough for Trey to cut the cord and pulled him away trying to clean him up. Not to long after that they rushed him out of there and I was told that he was being transferred to another hospitals NICU unit. Trey went with them to make sure he was being taken well care of. It was/is the hardest thing I've ever gone through.

I sat in the hospital recouping until Sunday night and was finally released around 8:30. We came him and to say it was upsetting to come home without a baby in my belly and no little Andrew to put in his cradle is a severe understatement. As hard as it is, we are keeping up the positive thoughts and really leaning on our faith right now.

He's doing better day by day. The machines are doing just about everything for him at this point, but we're trying very slowly to take him off of things one by one. Today they took his fully catheter out and last I heard, he is doing very well. He was soaking through a diaper with the catheter in, so they felt pretty good about that. They started to take him off of Dopamine which is helping to regulate his BP. They took the level down a bit and Andrew was borderline where they wanted him, so they've stopped that for now. Little by little.. step by step. He's not being sedated anymore either so that's great!

Right now, we're not sure when he is going to be able to come home, but we know that he is in very good hands. The pouring out of love and prayers we have received from people everywhere has been overwhelming. It's breath-taking. We got to go in this morning and touch him for the first time.. it was a moment we'll never forget. Here are some pictures:


While we were waiting in the nurses office Friday morning to find out what was going on she had the song Lead Me on the radio. I remember tearing up and telling Trey how much I loved that song and wanted to have him listen to it when we got home. It was the last thing I heard before going up and being induced, so when I remembered that this afternoon, we listened to it together and just cried and cried. We're going to need a lot of leading from God in the next few months... years I'm sure!

37 comments:

Jacki said...

You, Your husband, and your little boy are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he can come home soon!

Little Momma said...

Jacki summed up my words exactly! ((HUGS))

Jon and Steph said...

You all are in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

What a little fighter! I will be keeping the three of you in my prayers, but momm, you have yourselves a tough little guy!

CONGRATULATIONS :) He will come home soon, and be a terror before you know it! {with all the walking and running, and boy stuff :)}

Lisa said...

Praying for you and your little family! I hope Andrew comes home soon!

He's beautiful, by the way!

Tori Bella said...

I'm trying to not to email you and text you and disrupt your time together. But I just want you to know that I love you all and I'm praying for you.

Katie said...

I am praying for you, Trey and that sweet, sweet little boy.

Stay strong!

Anonymous said...

Ya'll are in my thoughts - keep us updated please.

lola said...

Congratulations again! :) I'm still thinking of all of you guys!

Mel said...

Congratulations on welcoming Andrew into the world. Now we just have to get him strong and home to you! You're all in my prayers.

Jen said...

Congratulations! I am sending all my thoughts and prayers to you and your hubby right now. I hope Andrew gets to come home very soon!

Chelle said...

YOu guys are in my prayers. Peace, patience, and strength for you and your husband to get through this and all the other tribulations parenthood comes with; along with strength for the little guy that he comes home soon.

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

praying for all of you! xoxo

Jessica said...

He is a cutie! Congrats on your baby boy and I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers!

just ask beth said...

God is good... He is perfect. even his little pinky toe!!

Shayla said...

You look beautiful! I love the photos on facebook!

This little guy is pulling at our heart strings! Definitely having tears for him and you guys for the pain you are going through. We know our Father has a plan, and he is a loving God so your little guy will always be in GREAT hands :D

Stephanie @ dirtandlace.com said...

He is just gorgeous. Congratulations!

I too had preeclampsia and was induced... we caught it early so I luckily didn't have to get the magnesium sulfate.

I'm so glad to hear he is doing well. You all are in my prayers!

Radiant Readhead said...

that song is BEAUTIFUL....i cried! i am so blessed to have my husband ( a army man too) after the loss of our daughter Rosalynn in april, he has had to be my strong hands when i can't....oh my! I know all too well the feeling of an empty belly and and empty nursery, and I am very sorry you have to experience this. you are in my thoughts and my prayers, and I am so happy Andrew is in good hands and seems like he is doing better and better!
Erin
journeyoflifeandluv.blogspot.com

Charity said...

Praying!!

Kaycee said...

Congrats on having the little one! You will be in our thoughts and prayers! So glad he is doing better each day!

Amber said...

First of all, congratulations, he is beautiful.

I'm so sorry that you are going through all of this, I am praying for your little fighter and you and your husband. Don't forget to lean on those around you, that is what they are there for.

Anonymous said...

As I said on Facebook today, y'all are in my thoughts and prayers sweetheart. Stay strong :)

Mary said...

Congratulations for your sweet boy! I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to not have him home... Tons of prayers for you three!

hmb said...

He is a beauty for sure! Congrats and I hope hegets to come home soon!

JG said...

I just can't stop looking at him! He's so gorgeous!! We are praying for you guys and for him to come home quickly!!

Jen said...

Congrats on your new arrival! I hope that little Andrew comes home very, very soon!

Time For Something New said...

My heart is with you and your family. Let your faith lead you and let your Father get you through.

Erin said...

Congratulations on your little man! I will be praying he gets to come home soon!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Congrats!!! I hope you guys get to take him home soon!

Karren said...

Congrats on your new bundle of joy!! :) Praying you will be able to bring him home soon!


P.S. - That song made me bawl my eyes out!!!

SCH said...

Congratulations on your amazing baby boy! God is good, and he takes care of his people. Prayers for strength, peace, and a speedy homecoming for Andrew are being sent your way!

Hang in there!

Michelle A'etonu said...

what a trooper! i'm glad he's making great progress! good job mama...you did great! keeping you guys in thought and prayer.

Pink, Green, and Southern said...

What a beautiful baby boy. I am thinking about you and your husband and I hope your Mr. Drew gets to come home soon!

Field of Dreams said...

What a handsome little boy!!! I'm so glad he is here for you! God will bring all of you through this! You will all be in my prayers!

Steph said...

Oh Jessica! Congrats! I will keep you all in my thoughts in prayers.

Sara said...

Oh gosh, this just breaks my heart. I can't imagine my son being taken from me so soon after he was born. I personally didn't even sleep facing away from his crib when we were in the hospital so I can't fathom how much your heart hurts right now. He looks strong, though! I'm so sorry all of this is happening. You'll be in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Your family is in my prayers.

I cannot wait to read about the entry talking about you bringing home your perfect little boy! ♥