February 14, 2011

In the blink of an eye... Part II

This morning was Andrew's Ophthalmology appointment. I felt good going in there, expecting the best. We got some good news and bad news..

The Good ~
Most likely, the difference in dialation is nothing. Apparently, 20% of our population has the same issue.. it's just a thing.

The Bad ~
It is also most likely that he can't see out of his left eye. As in, completely blind out of it or can see just very very little. He couldn't tell me this was 100% the case, but kept saying he is "pretty sure". Which, btw, has nothing to do with the dialation problem. When the doc covered up his left eye, Drew was able to follow the toy he had in front of his face fully. When his right eye was covered, he was clearly upset and wasn't tracking the toy at all. None of the three we tried.. not any of the multiple times we tried. If we hadn't gone in there, we probably wouldn't have found this out until his first eye exam.

We are being referred to a Pediatric Ophthalmologist off post to get more definitive answers.

A lot of things went through my mind.. was it because of his birth? Because they had to use the vacuum on him? Could it be my fault.. I already carry some guilt for everything that went wrong as it is. Did I help cause this too? If he is blind in his left eye, there is a chance he could develop a lazy eye. Kids are horribly mean. It will break my heart to know he is being picked on.

I know we can deal with this. It could be SO much worse! We will treat him no differently and he will know that he can still try and accomplish anything he would be able to with both eyes :) Trey is a little more angry and down about it all, but I'm trying to help him see that compared to what we've been through with him already, this is nothing.

Maybe this will end up being a non-issue, even. If the doc couldn't give me a 100%, this is the problem answer, I still don't fully believe it's true. If it is.. it's okay.. it changes nothing. He is still my happy, charming, adorable little boy :)

7 comments:

Karren said...

After just giving birth to my son on the 3rd via the vacuum this definitely freaks me out. He was stuck in the birth canal and I had the option of either a csection or the vacuum.. I really wish I would have chosen a csection now but after pushing for three hours and being doped up on tons of drugs I was out of it and don't really remember making the choice. We've already been concerned that his right arm or collar bone was injured because he wasn't moving it much after birth. He has been moving it more recently though thank God.

Anyway -

thank goodness y'all were able to find out about his possible eye problem before he got much older though. Keeping him in my prayers!

Amber said...

you are an amazing mom, you have made choices that are hard but you have always had Andrew's best interest at heart - EVERY TIME. Don't question that. I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

I've blogged a few times about my friend who's son was born without white matter in his brain, he has issues with his sight and I know she would be happy to talk to you about it. Obviously his issues are different but she's in school to teach the blind so she would be a great resource. Just let me know and I will shoot her a message on facebook.

Tori Bella said...

Jessica, I think our relationship is good enough for me to threaten to slap you silly if you think any of this is your fault. Girlfriend, Drew has the best parents ever who love him dearly and there's no doubt in anyone's mind that this isn't anyone's fault. It's just one of those fluke things that happen in life. Now stop feeling guilty and go give that baby a kiss on those cheeks for me!

Annie said...

Wishing you all the best. Sounds like you have a really positive outlook on it so that is great. Thankful for the vision in his other eye!

Charlatan psychic said...

With all the amazing things we can do now, Andrew is set up for success, even if worse comes to worse and he is completely blind in one eye. Medical technology is moving so fast these days. You and Trey are amazing parents! And just think, you can most into my neighborhood and I can babysit so you and your hubs can have couple time! Hehe.

just ask beth said...

He is perfect... this did make me cry though. I lov ehim and Y'all XOXO

Field of Dreams said...

Don't mean to try to get in your business because I really don't know too much about the details of the subject, but I did want to tell you, that I have a coworker whose baby girl has the same thing. They noticed it a couple of weeks after bringing her home that one of her pupils was smaller than the other. Not sure if she is completely blind in one eye, but what they have done is started treatments w/ a patch first for a few weeks & now she is wearing a contact in the one eye & will be re-evaluated once she's a little older to see about surgery or if she's able to just continue w/ glasses. Her doctor did tell her that this happens to alot of babies that have to receive oxygen after birth...anyway like I said I don't know much about this subject, but maybe some of this will help & hopefully everything will work out for you & him. Just continue to trust God!!! Thinking of your family!