February 23, 2011

A few things I'm diggin' at the moment

1. American Idol.
I swore this show off two years ago. I didn't miss watching it one single iota last year. Kara really got on my nerves and I can't even really place why. I had no intentions of watching it this year either, but turned it on just to see how the new judges were going to do. That was about 3 weeks ago and I'm a born again Idol addict. I've always been a closet J-Lo lover (not so much her music.. never got down with Jenny on the Block.. but I'm a sucker for her cliche romantic comedy movies) and her personality on the show is enough to make me come running out of that closet. She's so sweet, but not annoying like Paula (Have another sister). And Steven Tyler - how cool is he?? I about died the night they had to put up a warning on the screen for his language. Randy was always good in my book. He makes me laugh.
Early favorite (that I can think of off the top of my head..) I think her name is Lauren. Cute little blond girl who I believe is 15 or 16. I would have said the guy with the deep "Josh Turner" voice when I first saw him, but I'm sure that is going to get old. I know there are more... it's early in the game. I haven't quite remember who is who yet.

2. Sarah's Key.
I'm reading it for this months book club. (yes, I joined a book club). It's probably one of the best books I've ever read and I'm not even finished yet. You can read about it here, but basically it's about a particular little girl and her family who was part of a roundup of Jews in France, 1942. Some of it is told from her point of view, which is so well written that I feel like I'm there with her, and so heartbreaking that it leaves me up for well after I've finished reading with a very sad heart. I feel like it weighs on me. It also ties in with a modern day American journalist, living in France, researching an article on the roundup. They eventually link together.. which is where I'm at now so I have nothing else to add here other than... This is a must read!

3. Making Drew's food.
I've been a puree'ing machine over the last few days. It was time consuming and there is almost no room in our freezer, but there is enough food to last him over a month, I'm sure, and was a lot less expensive to make. Not only did I save us some mula, my baby is eating better goods. There is nothing wrong with eating the packaged stuff.. our parents all gave it to us... but I like this option better. I like that there isn't a shelf life of 2 years on his food. I also like that I can give him more options. I've made (and he loves) carrots, butternut squash, zucchini, broccoli, avocado, sweet potatoes, bananas, mango, apples with cinnamon, pears, and papaya. He loves it all. He does not enjoy yogurt so far.

4. Dresses.
Call it covering up my chubbier than used to be tummy, call it sick of "winter", call it what you will.. but I'm loving me some dresses and plan on wearing a lot more this summer. (or starting now.. because I live in the desert and I can do that). And not just for special occasions. Dress Barn is not your grandmothers go to clothing store anymore. I went in there today with a friend and helloooo cuteness! I shopped at the clearance rack and got three of them. Spent $56 and saved $77. I could have bought just about the whole store.

Those are a few of my favorite things at the moment! What are you loving??

5 comments:

JG said...

I SOOOO need more dresses! I can't wait to get some mad money again!

Annie said...

Girl I'm into American Idol this year too and I haven't been since Taylor Hicks was around. This year there seems to be a lot of talent!

Anonymous said...

Idol is great this year, isn't it?? And I feel ya on the J-Lo thing. Never been into her music, but her personality?? I just want to hug her!

One Day at a Time said...

I've NEVER been a J-Lo fan for music or movies, but seeing her actually be herself? she's great!! Love Steve Tyler too :)
Ive been DVRing and watching in the bedroom since Matt doesn't like it

Michelle A'etonu said...

i want to check out that book! are you guys using the beaba baby cook? we have one and i've finally started using it. because sina loves the gerber's chicken and apples so much, i made it for her, but it's been an adjustment. she doesn't like it as much as gerbers...theirs just tastes better!i love your new layout too!