April 11, 2012

A bit of an emotional walk

I've started a new walking routine over the past few weeks. Yeah yeah, it's great for my health. But y'all.. it's even better for my sanity. An hour. Peace and Quiet. Jammin' out to the pod and NOT to wheels on the Bus. Nobody tugging on me. The rest of the world is blocked out. Just me, my tunes, and a nice view of the mountains. And sometimes... SOMETIMES.. when I get home.. a certain little boy is already asleep. And yes, if you're wondering, that does thrill me. It may make me sound horrid, but I promise it makes me a better mama in the morning.

So tonight started like any other night. I'm walking, walking, running for 5 seconds (I kid.. more like 7), walking and all of a sudden a song comes on that takes me back to The Oakcrest House. (A very select few of you know what I'm talking about. For those that don't.. I'll sum it up: College years. Living in a big house with a group of friends. In-ground pool. Every weekend night get-togethers). Said song came on.. of which I won't divulge to protect my reputation.. and I started cracking up. Laughing hysterically. Ahhh the memories. We all had some good times.

Less than 5 minutes later, I pass a house that has a big banner flying on the porch. I smiled to myself before I even knew what it said, because I knew what it was for. Someone was getting, or recently had gotten, their soldier back. I look closer and it says, "WELCOME HOME DADDY. We love our brave soldier". I almost lost it. I did have tears. Right there on the track, mere minutes away from my fit of laughter.
It was happy tears. I don't know the family, but that doesn't matter. My heart SWELLED with joy. We all feel each other's joy as well as the pain. Whoever this family is, is now complete. I imagined the reunion. The kid/s running up to their Daddy giving him a huge bear hug. The wife happy again in a way she hasn't completely been since he's left. They're together. I know we'll have a reason to fly our proud banner on our porch in the future and my mind daydreams about that already.. before he's even left. What can I say, I'm a sucker for a reunion.

Lord help if anyone was watching me too closely. They may have put me in for a Psych Eval.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Such a sweet story! :)

Expat Girl said...

I cry just seeing Act of Valor trailors let alone seeing the movie. I think we are all a mess and all share each others joys and pains.

Charlatan psychic said...

You should hear how much I talk to Remy when I walk him. I'm sure people think I'm insane. I always smile when I see those banners. And yes, even Charla who doesn't cry has been a little teary eyed lately when I see/hear anything that reminds me of the upcoming deployment.