January 30, 2011

Operation: Hot Mom

I don't think I've mentioned this over the past week, but on Monday, I started the South Beach diet. I didn't have enough time to make ONLY working out work for me. I was getting into Curves three times a week and still eating whatever the heck I wanted. Not very effective! I'm able to work out more now that I switched gyms and it helps that I'm getting more cardio, but the diet has been amazing.

I've never been a diet person. I don't think I've ever been successful with one, besides that one time out of like 50 that I did Weight Watchers. But this one? This has been great so far.

I'm sure everyone is familiar with South Beach, but just in case you're not, basically you are cutting out carbs and sugar. It's broken down into different phases (phase 1 being the more strict of the two where you can have NO carbs or sugar. Phase 2 is where you start gradually adding GOOD carbs back in).
I was terrified to start this! I live for bread, pastas, potatoes... all that good stuff! But I knew I had to do something, so I just made up my mind. I was doing it. I literally had to mentally prep myself. Tell myself over and over that food is for nourishment, not fun.
The first day was super easy. The second day was the worst. I was starving and grouchy. Every day since has been great.

If you put a bowl of mashed potatoes in my face right now, I could easily turn it down. I'm never, ever starving. I feel healthier. Annddd....
I've lost somewhere between 5-7 pounds. In a week. (scale fluctuates.)

I'm being realistic about this. I know that it's impossible to say that I will never have a potato or a slice of pizza again. Ha! My goal is to make this a lifestyle change. Once I get to my goal weight, I plan to keep this up for the most part, but if I really want a good bad carb, I'll eat it and not beat myself up over it. It just won't be an every day thing. If I slip up, I'll jump right back on.
Of course, I want to feel good about myself and how I look, but mainly, I want to be healthy for my family. I want to run around with my son. I want to go on hikes with my husband and not have to quit halfway through. I want to live a long, healthy life and not worry about any preventable, weight related diseases.

Soooo.. wish me luck on this journey! I plan to do regular posts about this. I'll update with my progress and list some ideas for different foods to eat and ways to eat them.. ahem.. in the first two weeks eating eggs everyday gets old. You have to get creative! Stay tuned...

6 comments:

Meg said...

You've a great mentality to get it done. I wish you the best of luck.

JG said...

Power to ya, girl. I agree, it's mostly a head game. We tried doing Atkins (very similar) and didn't last long - the withdrawal migraines about near killed me. I'm sure you're going to do great! The first week is the hardest.

Annie said...

Wow, you go girl! I'm impressed!

Steph said...

That's great! You should be really proud of yourself.

Charlatan psychic said...

I'm glad you're allowing some "cheat" room in there. I personally could never do a diet that cuts anything out completely. I have to slowly transition. Like J and I are trying to eat less meat, so we plan at least 1 vegetarian meal a week. Some weeks it's just 1 meal, other weeks it's 4 meals.

So I'll check up on you from time to time to see how it's going, and you can check up on me to see how I'm doing.

Michelle A'etonu said...

you go girl! i desperately need to get back into a good PT routine. unfortunately, this kind of command is not one that really encourages PT. so i'm on my own and that's not a really good thing. best of luck to ya. keep it up!