September 30, 2010

No Sleep For the Weary

One piece of advice that every hands out like candy when you have a newborn is, "sleep when he sleeps". Really, I wish I could.

I've never been a big napper. There are so many other things that I could be getting done while he is not attached to my hip.. or chest really and my brain never fails to remind me of all those things. It never shuts off.

My house, by NO means needs to be sparkling clean. I'll never be one of those mothers with the perfect child and the spotless house to match. You'll never starve when coming to my house, but you may see a little dust. But, I cannot stand to have junk laying around everywhere. So instead of napping, you'll find me straightening up the living room, doing laundry, emptying or loading the dishwasher, cleaning bottles, pumping (grrrrr), etc.

Now that I have this pesky little cold, I'm finding myself wishing more than ever that I could just lay down and get some rest! I tried multiple times yesterday, but then I'm just fighting a overactive brain and a stuffed up nose. No win situation.

I will, however, be trying extra hard this afternoon though... I may or may not have been reduced to tears in the middle of the night last night when my precious child woke up around 4 and wanted nothing to do with going back to sleep...

Any napping tips??

6 comments:

This American Wife said...

Blackout curtains! We use them in AJ's room, but if you're having trouble falling asleep during the day they might help you...After a while I couldn't sleep during the day either!

Expat Girl said...

I wish I had advice I have the same problem with attacking To Do lists the second Baby Girl passes out!

Real love stories have no endings said...

I agree get some blackout curtins (or if you want I can make you some! Measure your bedroom window for me:)) and a sound machine!!
ps.i miss you guys!

Charlatan psychic said...

No tips for the baby, but if you really need to rest, you need something to distract your mind from all the things you could be doing. Like read a book. Even if you don't sleep, you can sit still and rest. I usually keep a heavy reading classic in the bedroom. last night it took 1 page and I was falling asleep! I have some if you need to borrow something to put you to sleep.

Time For Something New said...

maybe a relaxing CD? It doesnt have to be wale sounds or somehthing new age like that. just some quiet acoustic in the background while you try to rest.

Michelle A'etonu said...

i hear ya girl...but i had to give up my OCD cleaning and get those few minutes of sleep in. even if it was for five minutes! so for real...sleep when he sleeps! or at least try to!